I'm a staff engineer at MongoDB in New York City. I wrote Motor, the async MongoDB Python driver, and I'm the lead developer of the MongoDB C Driver and a member of the PyMongo team. I contribute to asyncio and Tornado. I study at the International Center for Photography and practice at the Village Zendo. You can read more about me.
- "How Do Python Coroutines Work?" Live-Coding Video From Open Source Bridge 2015The Open Source Bridge conference recently published this video of me building, in barely 30 minutes, a Python 3 async framework.
- Announcing PyMongo 2.9A compatibility bridge between PyMongo 2 and PyMongo 3 APIs.
- Black Pipe Testing: PrefaceTraditional "black box" testing can't fully validate MongoDB clients and other connected applications. Here's a convenient way to test the whole program.
- "March To Triumph As A Mentor": VideoThe Software as Craft Philadelphia Meetup generously recorded my March To Triumph As A Mentor talk.
- Announcing libbson and libmongoc 1.2.0 Release CandidateThe next big release of the MongoDB C Driver is available for testing.
- Facing Everything: Hiroshima And Our ComplicityOn the 70th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima, I talk about our double complicity in the history of WWII.
- Server Discovery And Monitoring In PyMongo, Perl, And COur drivers' algorithms to discover and stay connected to your server, replica set, or sharded cluster.
- PyCon Video: "Eventually Correct: Async Testing"My PyCon 2015 talk about testing asynchronous code with Tornado's included AsyncTestCase.
- PyPy, Garbage Collection, And A DeadlockYet another danger of __del__.
- March To Triumph As A MentorI've failed as a mentor, and succeeded. Here are the warning signs I watch for, and the steps I take to design a mentorship for success.
- It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time: PyMongo's "start_request"First in a four-part series about choices we regretted in the design of PyMongo.
- Python C Extensions And mod_wsgiIf you use mod_wsgi, or you're the author of a Python C extension, it's time for you to learn how they interact.
- Review of "MongoDB Applied Design Patterns" by Rick CopelandAn excellent new O'Reilly book on MongoDB gives detailed, well-thought-out designs for a range of applications.
- Ordinary ZenA portrait series of Zen practitioners.
- Optimizing MongoDB Compound IndexesHow to find the best multicolumn index for a complex query.
- libbson and libmongoc, the MongoDB C Driver libraries.
- Motor: A full-featured non-blocking MongoDB driver for Tornado.
- PyMongo: I help maintain the standard MongoDB driver for Python.
- GreenletProfiler: A performance profiler that groks greenlets and Gevent.
- A queue implementation for
asyncioin the Python 3.4 standard library.
- I do portraits of Lower East Siders, residents of transitional housing, and American Buddhists.