I’m a staff engineer at MongoDB in New York City. I wrote Motor, the async MongoDB Python driver, and I’m the lead developer of the MongoDB C Driver. I contribute to PyMongo, asyncio, Python and Tornado. I study at the International Center for Photography and practice at the Village Zendo. You can read more about me or find me on Twitter.
- Announcing libbson and libmongoc 1.9.2 Fixes a mistake that causes a compile error in a macro definition.
- Announcing libbson and libmongoc 1.9.1 Revert an incompatible change to a macro definition, fix an off-by-one bug in regexes.
- Ada and Grace January 6, 2018. Ada and Grace, Chinese dwarf hamsters.
- Free Online Workshop for Conference Proposals, February 3 I'm teaching a one-hour workshop for Global Diversity CFP Day. Start your conference speaking career in 2018!
- Running in Circles Running a long race, serving a prison term, practicing Zen: I'm trying to learn how people appreciate each moment in an eon.
- For Or Against?: 9/11 and The Precept of Non-Killing On the 15th anniversary of 9/11, I describe my difficulties practicing nonviolence in a world full of violence.
- How To Write Resilient MongoDB Applications How should my code respond to network errors, outages, and other exceptions?
- Server Discovery And Monitoring In PyMongo, Perl, And C Our drivers' algorithms to discover and stay connected to your server, replica set, or sharded cluster.
- PyCon Video: "Eventually Correct: Async Testing" My PyCon 2015 talk about testing asynchronous code with Tornado's included AsyncTestCase.
- March To Triumph As A Mentor I've failed as a mentor, and succeeded. Here are the warning signs I watch for, and the steps I take to design a mentorship for success.
- Python C Extensions And mod_wsgi If you use mod_wsgi, or you're the author of a Python C extension, it's time for you to learn how they interact.
- Review of "MongoDB Applied Design Patterns" by Rick Copeland An excellent new O'Reilly book on MongoDB gives detailed, well-thought-out designs for a range of applications.
- Ordinary Zen A portrait series of Zen practitioners.
- Optimizing MongoDB Compound Indexes How to find the best multicolumn index for a complex query.
- libbson and libmongoc, the MongoDB C Driver libraries.
- Motor: A full-featured non-blocking MongoDB driver for Tornado.
- PyMongo: I help maintain the standard MongoDB driver for Python.
- GreenletProfiler: A performance profiler that groks greenlets and Gevent.
- A queue implementation for
asyncioin the Python 3.4 standard library.
- I do portraits of Lower East Siders, residents of transitional housing, and American Buddhists.