I'm a staff engineer at MongoDB in New York City. I wrote Motor, the async MongoDB Python driver, and I'm the lead developer of the MongoDB C Driver. I contribute to PyMongo, asyncio, Python and Tornado. I study at the International Center for Photography and practice at the Village Zendo. You can read more about me.
- Say Useful Things To An Audience That's Listening: 6 Tips For Delivering A PyCon Talk Stage-manage your talk to stay focused on your point and keep the audience's attention.
- Captioning Myself And 6 Other Ways I'll Prepare In The 24 Hours Before I Speak At Pycon How I prepare the night and morning before I give a technical presenting.
- I Saw You Fall So I'm Helping Women have been excluded from the software industry for decades, but we can change this. A talk I gave at the Village Zendo on May 22, 2016.
- The Biggest Gift You Can Give Your Mentor Have a goal, take your mentor's advice, and best of all: come back to tell them the outcome.
- Lumps Photographs of humps and bumps in the woods upstate.
- Dharma Talk at Sing Sing: Joy And Pain of Bearing Witness On Saturday, I saw Sara Bennett's photos of women paroled after years in prison. On Sunday I talked about them with my prison sangha.
- Ubuntu 16.04 Includes The MongoDB C Driver Installing the driver on Xenial is as easy as "apt-get install libmongoc-1.0".
- Please! Vote For Me At Open Source Bridge If you like my talk proposals, give me a boost.
- Union Square West New York City from the roof of a building on 17th Street.
... More Posts
- Facing Everything: Hiroshima And Our Complicity On the 70th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima, I talk about our double complicity in the history of WWII.
- Server Discovery And Monitoring In PyMongo, Perl, And C Our drivers' algorithms to discover and stay connected to your server, replica set, or sharded cluster.
- PyCon Video: "Eventually Correct: Async Testing" My PyCon 2015 talk about testing asynchronous code with Tornado's included AsyncTestCase.
- PyPy, Garbage Collection, And A Deadlock Yet another danger of __del__.
- March To Triumph As A Mentor I've failed as a mentor, and succeeded. Here are the warning signs I watch for, and the steps I take to design a mentorship for success.
- It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time: PyMongo's "start_request" First in a four-part series about choices we regretted in the design of PyMongo.
- Python C Extensions And mod_wsgi If you use mod_wsgi, or you're the author of a Python C extension, it's time for you to learn how they interact.
- Review of "MongoDB Applied Design Patterns" by Rick Copeland An excellent new O'Reilly book on MongoDB gives detailed, well-thought-out designs for a range of applications.
- Ordinary Zen A portrait series of Zen practitioners.
- Optimizing MongoDB Compound Indexes How to find the best multicolumn index for a complex query.
- libbson and libmongoc, the MongoDB C Driver libraries.
- Motor: A full-featured non-blocking MongoDB driver for Tornado.
- PyMongo: I help maintain the standard MongoDB driver for Python.
- GreenletProfiler: A performance profiler that groks greenlets and Gevent.
- A queue implementation for
asyncioin the Python 3.4 standard library.
- I do portraits of Lower East Siders, residents of transitional housing, and American Buddhists.