I'm a staff engineer at MongoDB in New York City. I wrote Motor, the async MongoDB Python driver, and I'm the lead developer of the MongoDB C Driver. I contribute to PyMongo, asyncio, Python and Tornado. I study at the International Center for Photography and practice at the Village Zendo. You can read more about me.
- Precepts Ceremony at the Village Zendo Our annual jukai ceremony: eight students vowed to uphold the Buddhist teachings.
- Announcing libbson and libmongoc 1.4.0 Now with native TLS on Mac and Windows, no need for OpenSSL there.
- We Need More Headlines Like "No Evidence For Flossing" The media should report inconclusive studies more, it could end science's replication crisis.
- Announcing libbson and libmongoc 1.4.0-beta1 Native TLS on Mac and Windows, a new Command Monitoring API, and dozens of other features.
- Talk Python to Me: "Write an Excellent Programming Blog" Michael Kennedy interviewed me about my five "design patterns" for writing about programming.
- Begging, 2016 I need to raise $500 for homeless services so I can lead a Zen street retreat.
- How To Write Resilient MongoDB Applications How should my code respond to network errors, outages, and other exceptions?
- "500 Lines or Less" Published Today Experienced programmers solve interesting problems, in this new book in the "Architecture of Open Source Applications" series.
- "Smart Strategies for Resilient MongoDB Applications", The Screencast If you want a simple, reliable method for programming a MongoDB application, watch this.
- 72% Of The People I Follow On Twitter Are Men Know your number: use my app to estimate the gender distribution of your friends on Twitter.
... More Posts
- Facing Everything: Hiroshima And Our Complicity On the 70th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima, I talk about our double complicity in the history of WWII.
- Server Discovery And Monitoring In PyMongo, Perl, And C Our drivers' algorithms to discover and stay connected to your server, replica set, or sharded cluster.
- PyCon Video: "Eventually Correct: Async Testing" My PyCon 2015 talk about testing asynchronous code with Tornado's included AsyncTestCase.
- PyPy, Garbage Collection, And A Deadlock Yet another danger of __del__.
- March To Triumph As A Mentor I've failed as a mentor, and succeeded. Here are the warning signs I watch for, and the steps I take to design a mentorship for success.
- It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time: PyMongo's "start_request" First in a four-part series about choices we regretted in the design of PyMongo.
- Python C Extensions And mod_wsgi If you use mod_wsgi, or you're the author of a Python C extension, it's time for you to learn how they interact.
- Review of "MongoDB Applied Design Patterns" by Rick Copeland An excellent new O'Reilly book on MongoDB gives detailed, well-thought-out designs for a range of applications.
- Ordinary Zen A portrait series of Zen practitioners.
- Optimizing MongoDB Compound Indexes How to find the best multicolumn index for a complex query.
- libbson and libmongoc, the MongoDB C Driver libraries.
- Motor: A full-featured non-blocking MongoDB driver for Tornado.
- PyMongo: I help maintain the standard MongoDB driver for Python.
- GreenletProfiler: A performance profiler that groks greenlets and Gevent.
- A queue implementation for
asyncioin the Python 3.4 standard library.
- I do portraits of Lower East Siders, residents of transitional housing, and American Buddhists.