I'm a staff engineer at MongoDB in New York City. I wrote Motor, the async MongoDB Python driver, and I'm the lead developer of the MongoDB C Driver. I contribute to PyMongo, asyncio, Python and Tornado. I study at the International Center for Photography and practice at the Village Zendo. You can read more about me.
- For Or Against?: 9/11 and The Precept of Non-Killing On the 15th anniversary of 9/11, I describe my difficulties practicing nonviolence in a world full of violence.
- Announcing libbson and libmongoc 1.4.1 Three minor bugfixes.
- Water Tower June 20, 2016. A water tower in southeast Portland.
- Yankee Stadium July 10, 2013. MongoDB staff took our summer interns to a Yankees game.
- Stephen June 20, 2016. Portrait of a friend in Portland.
- Precepts Ceremony at the Village Zendo Our annual jukai ceremony: eight students vowed to uphold the Buddhist teachings.
- Announcing libbson and libmongoc 1.4.0 Now with native TLS on Mac and Windows, no need for OpenSSL there.
- We Need More Headlines Like "No Evidence For Flossing" The media should report inconclusive studies more, it could end science's replication crisis.
- Announcing libbson and libmongoc 1.4.0-beta1 Native TLS on Mac and Windows, a new Command Monitoring API, and dozens of other features.
- Talk Python to Me: "Write an Excellent Programming Blog" Michael Kennedy interviewed me about my five "design patterns" for writing about programming.
... More Posts
- Facing Everything: Hiroshima And Our Complicity On the 70th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima, I talk about our double complicity in the history of WWII.
- Server Discovery And Monitoring In PyMongo, Perl, And C Our drivers' algorithms to discover and stay connected to your server, replica set, or sharded cluster.
- PyCon Video: "Eventually Correct: Async Testing" My PyCon 2015 talk about testing asynchronous code with Tornado's included AsyncTestCase.
- PyPy, Garbage Collection, And A Deadlock Yet another danger of __del__.
- March To Triumph As A Mentor I've failed as a mentor, and succeeded. Here are the warning signs I watch for, and the steps I take to design a mentorship for success.
- It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time: PyMongo's "start_request" First in a four-part series about choices we regretted in the design of PyMongo.
- Python C Extensions And mod_wsgi If you use mod_wsgi, or you're the author of a Python C extension, it's time for you to learn how they interact.
- Review of "MongoDB Applied Design Patterns" by Rick Copeland An excellent new O'Reilly book on MongoDB gives detailed, well-thought-out designs for a range of applications.
- Ordinary Zen A portrait series of Zen practitioners.
- Optimizing MongoDB Compound Indexes How to find the best multicolumn index for a complex query.
- libbson and libmongoc, the MongoDB C Driver libraries.
- Motor: A full-featured non-blocking MongoDB driver for Tornado.
- PyMongo: I help maintain the standard MongoDB driver for Python.
- GreenletProfiler: A performance profiler that groks greenlets and Gevent.
- A queue implementation for
asyncioin the Python 3.4 standard library.
- I do portraits of Lower East Siders, residents of transitional housing, and American Buddhists.