I’m a senior staff engineer at MongoDB at MongoDB Research. I live and climb in New Paltz, NY. I wrote Motor, the async MongoDB Python driver, and I’ve contributed to MongoDB, the MongoDB C Driver, PyMongo, asyncio, Python, and Tornado. I studied at the International Center for Photography and I practice at the Village Zendo and New Paltz Zen Center. You can read more about me or find me on Twitter or Mastodon.
- Climbing in Puerto Rico February 2024. Photos of my friends sport-climbing on the limestone crags near San Juan.
- Review: Antipode: Enforcing Cross-Service Causal Consistency in Distributed Applications A 2023 paper about an interesting new consistency level for microservices.
- Review: Leases: An Efficient Fault-Tolerant Mechanism for Distributed File Cache Consistency The 1989 paper that invented timed leases for consistency in distributed systems.
- Review: Exploiting a Natural Network Effect for Scalable, Finegrained Clock Synchronization A 2018 paper with an algorithm to tightly synchronize clocks between servers, and measure one-way latency.
- Review: Nezha: Deployable and High-Performance Consensus Using Synchronized Clocks A protocol like Fast Paxos, with some interesting optimizations.
- Psilocybin session at Johns Hopkins Photos from the Center for Psychedelic and Consciousness Research in Baltimore.
- Paper Review: E-Store, P-Store, and Elastic Database Systems A PhD thesis and two papers about reactive and predictive autoscaling.
- The MongoDB Stable API For MongoDB 5.0, I designed a new Stable API that permits you to upgrade without code changes.
- How To Understand Non-Self: Buddhism And Conway's Game Of Life John Conway's Game of Life is a math puzzle that gives us insights into the Buddha's teaching of anatman.
- Paper review: Paxos vs Raft Which consensus algorithm will win?
- Two attempts to compare a TLA+ spec with a C++ implementation At MongoDB we tried two methods to test that a spec matches the code: one worked, one didn't. We explain our results in a VLDB 2020 paper.
- Meditation at Home Photographs of Village Zendo members in early 2020.
- Reading A Journal of the Plague Year in New York Daniel Defoe's account of London in 1665 is eerily like New York in 2020.
- You Look So Zen On a visit to some Buddhists incarcerated on a jail barge, I had to improvise how to practice Zen, just like we always have to improvise our practice.
- PyGotham 2019's ASL and Live Captioning Playbook Here's what we did for Deaf and hard-of-hearing accessibility, in detail. I hope this recap can be a playbook for future conferences.
- Five Ways to Establish a Rock-Solid Meditation Habit Meditation can transform your life, but it only works if you sit regularly. You can establish a strong, serious practice following these five methods.
- The Meteor What if you knew you had 30 minutes to live? Would you want to be awakened?
- Ordinary Zen A portrait series of Zen practitioners.
- Optimizing MongoDB Compound Indexes How to find the best multicolumn index for a complex query.