I’m a staff engineer at MongoDB in New York City. I wrote Motor, the async MongoDB Python driver, and I’m the lead developer of the MongoDB C Driver. I contribute to PyMongo, asyncio, Python and Tornado. I study at the International Center for Photography and practice at the Village Zendo. You can read more about me or find me on Twitter.
- Choosing the Adventurous Route: Resources Links to articles and papers I mention in my PyTennessee talk about the career path for coders.
- Meaningless Striving Each new year, Americans resolve to work harder and be more austere, for no reason. Let's stop torturing ourselves.
- Genro Roshi August 2018. Roshi Grover Genro Gauntt in New Rochelle.
- RIP Ada Ada Lovelace Armstrong Davis was a hamster of leisure and luxury. She died soon after her sister, with whom she was still unreconciled.
- Hudson River December 2018. Near the Garrison Institute, during the Village Zendo's year-end retreat.
- API Evolution the Right Way Ten covenants that responsible library authors keep with their users.
- The Meteor What if you knew you had 30 minutes to live? Would you want to be awakened?
- Embed Interns In Your Team, Don't Assign Them Science Fair Projects Interns are much more likely to succeed if they work as regular team members, doing a real professional's daily work.
- Praxis Housing: Michael When you're in an atmosphere that's closed in, with noise in the hallway, no circulation, you start feeling like that room.
- Server Discovery And Monitoring In PyMongo, Perl, And C Our drivers' algorithms to discover and stay connected to your server, replica set, or sharded cluster.
- March To Triumph As A Mentor I've failed as a mentor, and succeeded. Here are the warning signs I watch for, and the steps I take to design a mentorship for success.
- Python C Extensions And mod_wsgi If you use mod_wsgi, or you're the author of a Python C extension, it's time for you to learn how they interact.
- Ordinary Zen A portrait series of Zen practitioners.
- Optimizing MongoDB Compound Indexes How to find the best multicolumn index for a complex query.
- libbson and libmongoc, the MongoDB C Driver libraries.
- Motor: A full-featured non-blocking MongoDB driver for Tornado.
- PyMongo: I help maintain the standard MongoDB driver for Python.
- GreenletProfiler: A performance profiler that groks greenlets and Gevent.
- A queue implementation for
asyncioin the Python 3.4 standard library.
- I do portraits of Lower East Siders, residents of transitional housing, and American Buddhists.