I’m a senior staff engineer at MongoDB doing research at MongoDB Labs. I live and climb in New Paltz, NY. I wrote Motor, the async MongoDB Python driver, and I’ve contributed to MongoDB, the MongoDB C Driver, PyMongo, asyncio, Python, and Tornado. I studied at the International Center for Photography and I practice at the Village Zendo and New Paltz Zen Center. You can read more about me or find me on Twitter or Mastodon.
- Review: Cornus: Atomic Commit for a Cloud DBMS with Storage Disaggregation Some two-phase commit optimizations for cloud storage.
- I'm Tithing Ten Percent of My Income to Effective Charities For now, I'm donating to GiveWell Top Charities Fund.
- Review: Paxos Quorum Leases: Fast Reads Without Sacrificing Writes A Paxos variant that speeds up linearizable reads in geo-distributed clusters.
- Village Zendo's Winter 2022 Meditation Retreat Photos from our Zen retreat at Garrison Institute.
- Paper Review: Rex: Replication at the Speed of Multi-core Faster replication through the magic of partial order.
- Paper Review: E-Store, P-Store, and Elastic Database Systems A PhD thesis and two papers about reactive and predictive autoscaling.
- Paper review: Paxos vs Raft Which consensus algorithm will win?
- Five Ways to Establish a Rock-Solid Meditation Habit Meditation can transform your life, but it only works if you sit regularly. You can establish a strong, serious practice following these five methods.
- API Evolution the Right Way Ten covenants that responsible library authors keep with their users.
- The Meteor What if you knew you had 30 minutes to live? Would you want to be awakened?
- Embed Interns In Your Team, Don't Assign Them Science Fair Projects Interns are much more likely to succeed if they work as regular team members, doing a real professional's daily work.
- Server Discovery And Monitoring In PyMongo, Perl, And C Our drivers' algorithms to discover and stay connected to your server, replica set, or sharded cluster.
- Ordinary Zen A portrait series of Zen practitioners.
- Optimizing MongoDB Compound Indexes How to find the best multicolumn index for a complex query.