I’m a staff engineer at MongoDB in New York City, specializing in C++ and distributed systems. I wrote Motor, the async MongoDB Python driver, and I’ve contributed to the MongoDB C Driver, PyMongo, asyncio, Python, and Tornado. I study at the International Center for Photography and practice at the Village Zendo. You can read more about me or find me on Twitter.
- The Python Language Summit 2020 Each year the Python core developers and a few Python community members have an exclusive one-day summit to discuss the future of the language.
- Meditation at Home Photographs of Village Zendo members in early 2020.
- Who Can You Trust? Our leaders are untrustworthy. When we hear about toilet paper hoarders or covidiots, we stop trusting each other. But there is someone we can trust.
- Reading A Journal of the Plague Year in New York Daniel Defoe's account of London in 1665 is eerily like New York in 2020.
- How Buddhism Survived The Japanese Internment Japanese Americans founded our practice, and preserved and adapted it to life in internment camps. Today too, we must adapt our practice in a crisis.
- API Evolution the Right Way Ten covenants that responsible library authors keep with their users.
- The Meteor What if you knew you had 30 minutes to live? Would you want to be awakened?
- Embed Interns In Your Team, Don't Assign Them Science Fair Projects Interns are much more likely to succeed if they work as regular team members, doing a real professional's daily work.
- Praxis Housing: Michael When you're in an atmosphere that's closed in, with noise in the hallway, no circulation, you start feeling like that room.
- Server Discovery And Monitoring In PyMongo, Perl, And C Our drivers' algorithms to discover and stay connected to your server, replica set, or sharded cluster.
- March To Triumph As A Mentor I've failed as a mentor, and succeeded. Here are the warning signs I watch for, and the steps I take to design a mentorship for success.
- Python C Extensions And mod_wsgi If you use mod_wsgi, or you're the author of a Python C extension, it's time for you to learn how they interact.
- Ordinary Zen A portrait series of Zen practitioners.
- Optimizing MongoDB Compound Indexes How to find the best multicolumn index for a complex query.
- libbson and libmongoc, the MongoDB C Driver libraries.
- Motor: A full-featured non-blocking MongoDB driver for Tornado.
- PyMongo: I help maintain the standard MongoDB driver for Python.
- GreenletProfiler: A performance profiler that groks greenlets and Gevent.
- A queue implementation for
asyncioin the Python 3.4 standard library.
- I do portraits of Lower East Siders, residents of transitional housing, and American Buddhists.